Missed Out

As I have grown older, I realized that I was missing out on something special. From 1991 to now there have been alot of new stadiums built in baseball, which means lots of opportunity to go see new ones, but also means some that will be considered classics one day have been missed. Some of the ones replaced were in need of it, and were very basic, cookie cutter stadiums. Others, while old and outdated, were classics already. I will not let the new wave of stadiums pass me by this time. I am dedicated to seeing them all.

While some of these classics are before my time, I sit and wonder what it would have been like to see a game at some of these classic domains. I love the look of some of the classics and am learning more about them daily.


Friday, September 3, 2010

Ebbets Field, Brooklyn NY


This is a beautiful defunct stadium. The former home of the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1913 to 1957, when they left for L.A.. The field was demolished in 1960 and replaced with apartment buildings. Its look has been used in the new Mets stadium, Citi Field.


The Dodgers went to the World Series in 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956 while playing there. They won the 1955 World Series.


Ebbets Field was but one of several historic major league ballparks demolished in the 1960s, but more mythology and nostalgia surrounds the stadium and its demise than possibly any other defunct ballpark. Ebbets Field is arguably a more popular venue now than when it actually stood. I know I have a personal fascination with it. I've read that fans who did attend games at the stadium remember it as cramped and decrepit towards the end of its life. If the Dodgers hadn't moved to L.A., the stadium would have still been torn down, it was because of a dispute with the city on location of a new park that drove them out. The Giants followed them west, being the biggest rival of the Dodgers, to keep that rivalry alive to this day.

1 comment: