Missed Out

As I have grown older, I realized that I was missing out on something special. From 1991 to now there have been alot of new stadiums built in baseball, which means lots of opportunity to go see new ones, but also means some that will be considered classics one day have been missed. Some of the ones replaced were in need of it, and were very basic, cookie cutter stadiums. Others, while old and outdated, were classics already. I will not let the new wave of stadiums pass me by this time. I am dedicated to seeing them all.

While some of these classics are before my time, I sit and wonder what it would have been like to see a game at some of these classic domains. I love the look of some of the classics and am learning more about them daily.


Monday, August 30, 2010

Forbes Field, Pittsburgh PA


Forbes Field was the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1909 through 1971. They shared the stadium with the Steelers. The Pitt Panthers football team also used it from 1909 to 1924. The stadium was made of concrete and steel (one of the first of its kind) in order to increase its lifespan. The Pirates played in 4 World Series while at Forbes Field, winning 3: 1909, 1925 and 1960.


The Bucs owner hated cheap home runs and vowed he'd have none in his park, which led him to design a large playing field for Forbes Field. The original distances to the outfield fence in left, center, and right field were 360 feet, 462 feet, and 376 feet respectively.Later, the right field went from 376 feet to 300 feet, but a 28-foot high screen to limit home runs was erected. With such a large outfield space, triples and inside-the-park home runs were common. The Pirates hit a record eight triples in a single game.


On opening day, 1909, ticket prices ranged from $1.25 for box seats and $1 for reserved grand stand sections. Temporary bleachers were set up for the occasion and cost $0.50. These prices were considered high for the day.

The left and center field walls had ivy on them, and this is the only pic I could find of it. I cannot find any history of when the ivy was put in, but being a Cub/Wrigley fan, the ivy is interesting.

3 comments:

  1. I think the ivy was planted circa 1938 when Bill Veeck ran the team. I think he even helped do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...my mistake. I thought I was looking at a pic of Wrigley Field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s Yogi Berra watching Mazeroski’s Series winning home run going over the left field wall…

    ReplyDelete